When a person is involved in an automobile accident everything can become hectic rather quickly. It depends on the severity and how large the mishap is on how quickly the victim can be thrown into utter chaos. It is important to take the right steps when an accident has occurred or a costly mistake can be made that is difficult to undo. While it may be hard to remember what to do there are a few key points that can help an error from being made that can be harmful to your claim. From contacting the right authorities to consulting with a car accident lawyer in Cedar Rapids, IA, you should know what to do if an incident should occur.
Steps You Should Take Following an Automobile Accident
- You should immediately call the police department so they can come fill out the accident report and help determine who was at fault.
- Assess the situation to make sure no one is injured. If you suspect a person is injured make sure to ask for medical assistance when calling for an officer.
- You will want to provide the officer and other party involved in the accident with your insurance information. You will need to obtain the other parties insurance information that will be required for filing a claim.
- You should seek medical attention even if you do not feel that you are hurt. You could be injured but the rush of adrenaline from the accident may be preventing you from feeling the injury right away.
- When you are able to you will want to contact your insurance company and inform them you were involved in an accident.
- Consult with an attorney, they can help you determine if you have a claim and what is a fair settlement for you. A lawyer can answer any questions you may have and will already know about the case if you need to turn the claim over to them.
Have a Dependable Attorney on Your Side
The job of an insurance agency is to settle your case for as little as they can. Their main concern is saving their company money when a claim has been made with them. That is why you need someone on your side, especially if the accident has greatly impacted your life. Currie & Liabo Law Firm knows how insurance agencies work, they can provide you with the knowledge and skills required to help you successfully receive the settlement you deserve.