Cedar Rapids Car Accident Attorneys
Helping Auto Accident Victims Secure Financial Compensation
Motorists are bound by law to adhere to speed limits, traffic laws, and to make responsible decisions while driving. Unfortunately, many drivers succumb to road-rage or make careless and reckless mistakes that put other motorists in harm’s way. Texting while driving, phone calls, and other distractions can cause serious catastrophic injuries that could have been completely avoided. When another motorist causes you property damage or personal injury due to recklessness or negligence, you are entitled to receive compensation for your pain and suffering. Our lawyers in Cedar Rapids, Iowa at Currie & Liabo Law Firm, PLC can help with this process.
According to the NHTSA, the leading cause of death in 2017 was due to motor vehicle accidents. Additionally, there were over 330 traffic fatalities in 2017, with 26% of those accidents as a result of alcohol-impaired driving fatalities. With roads getting busier and drivers being given more opportunities to be distracted, there is a good chance that you'll need the experience and successful representation of our car accident lawyer in Cedar Rapids.
What Damages Can I Collect After a Car Accident?
If you or a loved one were injured in a car accident, you may be entitled to compensation. Before filing a suit, reach out to an experienced auto accident lawyer near you to determine if you have a case.
Filing a car accident case may allow you to obtain compensation for:
- Medical bills (ambulance transportation, hospitalization, medical device costs, therapy, etc.)
- Lost wages
- Property damage
- Expenses such as using public transportation or ridesharing because you could not drive your car
- Pain and suffering
- Funeral Costs
- Punitive damages
Steps to Take After a Car Accident
Unfortunately, auto accidents are among the more challenging types of personal injuries because they have the ability to affect your entire family. One stray motorist or drunk driver can not only total your vehicle, but also cause bodily harm to your loved ones and passengers in your vehicle.
- Step One: Make sure that everyone involved in the accident is not injured or harmed. If there any serious injuries, call an ambulance and the police right away.
- Step Two: Document the accident with great detail after you and those involved have moved to a safe space after the car accident. Take pictures of any damage caused to another vehicle or any property, and make sure to get a copy of any other parties' drivers license, license plate, and contact information.
- Step Three: Contact your insurance company right away to file a claim. Do not admit fault to anyone at the scene of the accident, and make sure to be very specific with your insurance agent regarding the details of the crash. If your insurance company has denied your claim, contact our Cedar Rapids car accident lawyers immediately to seek financial compensation for your injuries!
Medical expenses could be multiplied by the number of passengers in your car, and one wreck can ruin a family’s finances in the blink of an eye. With so much on the line, it is imperative for your future to seek the help of an experienced lawyers to fight for the compensation you need and deserve.
Iowa Statute of Limitations for Personal Injuries
A statute of limitations is a time frame that is set up by law. This limitation indicates the amount of time in which you are legally able to file a claim from the date of your injury. Each state varies with how long they allow for personal injury claims to be filed after an incident. In Iowa, the statute of limitations for car accidents is two years. This means that an injured party has within two years of their accident date to file a car accident claim in Iowa.
Common Questions to Ask Your Car Accident Attorney in Cedar Rapids
Accidents are bound to happen. You can be the most careful driver in the world, and if someone else isn’t watching what they are doing on the road, you can end up in an accident. Suddenly, you are injured, out of work, and have no way of getting around, because your car is either totaled or in the shop. The one thing that is a certainty during this difficult time is that you should hire a car accident attorney in Cedar Rapids, IA to help with your case.
There are a few questions that you should go to your free consultation armed with, however. Read on below for answers to a few of those questions:
What Areas of Law does the Firm Specialize in?
- You wouldn’t want a TV repairman working on your car, would you? So, why would you want a criminal defense attorney working on your car accident case? Make sure that you ask the car accident attorney in Cedar Rapids, IA what type of law they specialize in so that you are sure you are at the right place and that they will have your best interest at heart.
Will There be Other Attorneys on the Case?
- This is a matter of preference really. Many people would prefer to have a small law firm with one lawyer working on their case. Other people prefer to go with a larger firm so that they have the experience and expertise of many different lawyers to help them. Either way, you need to know ahead of time how many lawyers will be on your case, so that you can make the final decision as to which law firm you choose. The choice is yours alone.
Can You Provide References from Past Clients?
- The thing you have to remember is that the attorney you choose holds your life in his hands. You want to ensure that you are the best possible fit and that includes getting references of past clients from the lawyer in question. If the lawyer refuses, then you might want to move to the next lawyer on your list.
At Currie & Liabo Law Firm PLC, We Can Help!
After you have been the victim of another driver’s negligence, seek the help of Currie & Liabo Law Firm PLC. Our attorneys understand how harmful an auto accident can be to our clients’ welfare. We have helped countless victims of auto accidents recover compensation for their injuries and we want to protect your rights.
- Pay your medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, and more
- Avoid being taken advantage of by large insurance companies
- Gather strong, supporting evidence for our case strategy
- Fight for the full financial restitution you are entitled to