Cedar Rapids Workers’ Comp Attorney
Legal Support for Workers' Compensation Claims in Iowa
Many jobs are inherently dangerous and a job that puts you in harm’s way can severely limit your ability to provide for your family and make a living. Unfortunately, not every person who has been injured on the job is awarded workers’ compensation for a variety of reasons.
At Currie & Liabo Law Firm PLC, our Iowa workers’ compensation attorney can help guide you through the complicated legal process and fight for compensation. After spending more than 70 years helping clients with their workers’ compensation problems, our attorneys have a complete understanding of this specific field of law.
Workers Compensation Laws in Iowa
In 1913 the first law was passed as part of Iowa Workers' Compensation Laws. Since then, qualifying injured workers have been able to file workers compensation claims to help cover their losses. Since insurance companies provide workers’ compensation insurance, you may not receive all the compensation you are entitled to unless you have an experienced Cedar Rapids workers’ compensation attorney on your side. Our attorneys have the knowledge and expertise to fight for compensation of the following:
A critical injury
What to Do if You Are Injured on the Job
- First of all, make sure you report any accidents or injuries sustained on the job. No matter how small an accident or injury may seem, some injuries can escalate into more serious medical problems like infections or chronic illness. For example, a small pain in your back caused by lifting a heavy object could worsen and lead to debilitating chronic back pain.
- Secondly, don’t allow yourself to be deceived. Appallingly enough, sometimes accidents bring out the worst in people. There have been many instances of employers lying to injured employees to avoid paying compensation. Don’t allow yourself to be fooled or taken advantage of. You need to be absolutely sure that you do everything in your power to collect your workers’ compensation because it can be difficult to obtain without proficient legal help.
- Next, make sure you inform your healthcare provider or doctor. As you seek healthcare for your injuries, you need to inform your healthcare provider of the nature of your injuries. As you fill out the required healthcare documentation, make sure you document the fact that your injury was sustained on the job. Many documents contain check-boxes to indicate work-related injuries.
- Lastly, find a top-notch workers’ compensation attorney. One of the largest factors that determines the success of a victim’s case is the quality of their legal counsel. Currie & Liabo Law Firm PLC has been helping the victims of workers’ compensation disputes for nearly 30 years in Cedar Rapids and our legal capabilities are undeniable.
What Does a Workers Comp Attorney Do
A workers compensation lawyer can determine if you have a claim and what your employer is responsible for to lessen the impact of the injury on your life. They can help you put together medical evidence to support your claim, negotiate a settlement, and represent you during a hearing. They also have the know-how to communicate with the workers' comp insurer for you. Hiring an attorney will give you a better chance of obtaining the benefits that you deserve overall.
If you have been injured at work no matter how minor the injury or severe, you should consult with a trusted workers compensation attorney in Cedar Rapids. While a minor injury can be solved between you and your employer, a more severe injury could require an attorney to help you receive a reasonable settlement for your injuries.
When Do I Need to Hire a Workers' Compensation Attorney?
It does not matter how good of a company you work for or how nice your employer has been to you. When you are injured on the job, they will do everything they can to settle your workers’ comp claim for as little as possible. Their main goal is to save their company money by not paying out or the bare minimum that they can on a workers compensation claim.
Following is a list of some factors regarding when you should hire a workers' compensation attorney:
- You should retain a workers' compensation lawyer when your claim has been denied or you do not receive your benefits on time.
- If you feel your boss is trying to retaliate against you for filing the claim by demoting you, cutting your hours, reducing your pay, or firing you.
- If there is a chance a third-party is responsible for the accident happening to you.
- You should hire a workers' compensation attorney when the injuries that you sustain prevent you from returning to work or stop you from working again due to a permanent disability.
- If you do not understand the process of worker’s comp and require an expert to walk you through the procedure.
- They can represent you when negotiating terms to reduce your stress and allow you to concentrate on recovering.
How to Find a Good Workers Compensation Lawyer
Anyone who has ever filed a workman’s comp case can tell you that the laws are complicated and beyond complex. This is why it’s important to find a good workman’s compensation lawyer in Cedar Rapids, IA to represent you in court and get you the compensation that you are owed and deserve.
Of course, you want to find the most reputable and well-respected lawyer in the area. Read on below for a few tips to help you get the job done the right way, the first time.
Tip #1: Use Word of Mouth
- In the modern world of technology and the Internet, the best way to find anything is still by old-fashioned word of mouth. Talk to people you know, whether it’s your family, friends, co-workers, or even your neighbors to see if they have ever had to hire a workman’s compensation lawyer in Cedar Rapids, IA before. Ask them who they feel is the best and then narrow it down to the one that you can trust and will do the best for you and your particular case.
Tip #2: Inspect the Firm’s Website
- Inspecting the firm’s website is another great way to find out if the law firm will work for you. Read the reviews as well as what the firm does so that you are sure they are the best fit for your needs. It’s also a good idea to look other places for reviews, such as social media, so that you know the reviews aren’t biased and from normal people just like you who are searching for legal help.
Tip #3: Set Up a Consultation
- Most law firms will do a free consultation to ensure that you are the right fit for one another. Never hire a lawyer over the phone. Always go into the office and see if the lawyer is someone you can trust.
These are just a few tips for finding the right workman’s compensation lawyer to meet your needs. Make sure to do your research and then hire the firm that is the best fit. For more information, contact the professionals at Currie and Liabo today. You will be glad that you did!